The central struggle of parenthood is to let our hopes for our children outweigh our fears.

-Ellen Goodman

Thursday, June 26, 2008

One Month Old

Parker is one month old today! I can't believe it. Her entry into the world was kind of hectic and scary, but she's a strong little thing! I'll never forget when they finally got her out and Marshall peeked around the screen and said, "It's a girl!". I was so happy. I saw her for just an instant, she didn't cry nearly as much as Eli did when he was born so my joy quickly changed to concern.
So Marshall and Parker left and I went to recovery. Then a phone call. Parker was having trouble breathing and they sent her to the NICU. I wouldn't be able to see her for at least 24 hours because I had a fever. It was the longest 24 hours of my life. When I finally got to go and see her I wasn't ready for all of the tubes and machines. Had a little breakdown, but the nurses (God bless them, they were wonderful) explained everything and that she really was getting better.
We had to leave the hospital without Parker, which was so hard, but she came home only a few days later. I hated leaving her there overnight because I was afraid she would wake up and wonder where we were, but Kate and April (both WONDERFUL NICU nurses) held her a lot during the night. She's a tough little thing. When she finally came home she slept solid for like three days. I think the was exhausted from all she had been through. I can't imagine how difficult it is for the parents who are there for weeks and months, not just a week like we were. We are very thankful that she got better so quickly.One month has gone by so fast! We love you Parker!

No comments: