The central struggle of parenthood is to let our hopes for our children outweigh our fears.

-Ellen Goodman

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Swimming Lessons and Other People's Kids...

Of course I have no pictures of the event, but Eli passed his "Eel" swim class and will be moving on to becoming a "Ray".  I was really impressed with how much he learned in his class.  He's going underwater all the time and did a good job of getting to the side when he jumped in the 4 ft. I still don't think he's quite ready to be left unattended at a swimming pool, but maybe by next summer.  (That is a joke of course, but I feel like I have to tell you it's a joke so you don't report me to CPS.)  At the end of the class today one of the mom's had a meltdown because her son wandered toward the 4 ft. (it's a zero entry pool).  She jerked him out of the water and said "you're not in trouble, they are not keeping you safe!".  What?  There were 4 lifeguards there and they repeatedly said, "don't go past this line".  Give me a break lady.  They weren't going to let him drown, and it probably wouldn't have hurt for him to lose his footing for a moment so he'd realize he needs to pay attention.  

A friend of mine also had a run in with "other people's kids" at a photo session a couple of weeks ago.  Her six month old's head got clawed (with bloody claw marks to prove it) by a 1 year old.  And no apology or even a scolding by the mother.  Good thing the pictures were already done because he's a baldy.  :)  I realize that 1 year olds don't always know that they might hurt the baby, but the fact that the mom acted like it was no big deal is ridiculous to me. It might have been nice if she'd even just said, "now honey, don't claw it until it bleeds, just scratch light enough that he doesn't scream."  I'm so glad my kids are perfect.  ;)  

No comments: